The “DigiYatra” is a Biometric Seamless Travel Experience (BEST) based on facial recognition technology to identify travelers to pass through various checkpoints linked to the boarding pass. The aim is to offer passengers a paperless and seamless travel experience.
With the help of this technology, passenger immigration would be processed automatically based on facial recognition system at all checkpoints including airport entrance, security check areas, boarding the plane, etc.
Advantages of Digiyatra
DigiYatra will also make the boarding process significantly faster and more seamless as each passenger would take less than three seconds at each touch point. Her face would act as her documents, like proof of ID, proof of vaccination and also as boarding pass.
This technology will also ensure increased security at the airport, as passenger details will be validated with the airlines’ departure control system, allowing only designated passengers to enter the terminal. The entire process is non-intrusive and automatic, resulting in streamlined staffing for stakeholders such as CISF, airlines, and others.
How to use the DigiYatra facility?
- In order to use the DigiYatra app, passengers must first download the DigiYatra app. The beta version of the DigiYatra app is currently available on the Playstore (for the Android platform). The same app will be available on the App Store (for IOS platform) in a few weeks.
- After downloading the app, the users can register in the app with Aadhaar credentials, followed by a selfie with the Aadhaar card for verification.
- Once verified, vaccination details must be added to the app using CoWIN credentials.
- Users then need to scan their boarding pass with the QR code or barcode, after which the credentials are shared with the airport.
- Passengers are required to scan their boarding passes at the e-gate to enter the airport and look at the facial recognition system camera installed there. A similar method will be available for entering other checkpoints.
Delhi & Bengaluru International Airport launches DigiYatra app
Following the guidelines of the Government of India to provide contactless, seamless passenger handling at airports, Delhi International Airport Limited (DIAL) on Monday announced the launch of a beta version of the DigiYatra app for the Android platform.
Delhi Airport is among the first airports to introduce this system in the country. DIAL had installed the required system at Terminal 3 of Delhi Airport and had already carried out tests.
Almost 20,000 passengers had a seamless and safe travel experience after using the facility during testing. Domestic passengers departing from Terminal 3 of each airline can download the app and register at the airport for a seamless travel experience.
Videh Kumar Jaipuriar, CEO of DIAL, stated: “DigiYatra is a unique Government of India initiative coordinated by the Ministry of Civil Aviation. It is in line with the Prime Minister’s vision to transform the nation into a digitally-enabled society. Delhi Airport is among the first airports in the country to be equipped with the facial recognition system. The system will offer passengers a seamless experience. The FRS will save passengers from the process of identity verification at multiple points and will encourage them to travel paperless and also increase security at the airport,” ANI reported.
According to Bangalore International Airport Ltd (BIAL), the DigiYatra system is operational and will be fully rolled out for all domestic airlines at Kempegowda International Airport (KIA) E-gates, and all domestic travel checkpoints will also be covered. Currently, Vistara and AirAsia India are integrated with DigiYatra at KIA.
DigiYatra will soon be operational at Varanasi, Pune, Vijayawada, Kolkata and Hyderabad airports.
(With ANI inputs)