Note: This is a guest post by Deepak Setia
How do I play YouTube in the background on an iPhone? Here’s good news for iOS users who want to multitask on their phones while streaming a YouTube video in the background. After being the long-awaited feature among Apple users, the option to choose between picture-in-picture or background playback for YouTube is now available.
Many people like to stream music on YouTube, but the app prevents them from using other apps on the phone, which is not convenient. So if you want to know How to play YouTube in the background on an iPhonethen this post is for you.
Methods to enable YouTube background playback
Method 1: Get a YouTube Premium subscription
If you take out a premium subscription, your YouTube app will be updated with the background playback feature even if you use several other apps at the same time. So sign up for the premium subscription package to unlock this benefit by following the steps below:
- Go to the YouTube Premium home page
- Select the Try for free option
- Enter your billing information once the checkout page opens
- Pay $1 to verify payment details are valid
YouTube Premium Plans:
Once you sign up, you will get a 3 month free trial. Once it ends, the fee will be automatically debited from your registered bank account depending on your chosen package. The monthly plan costs $11.99 for one account. However, that fee drops to just $6.99 if you’re a student. Another lucrative offer is a 6-account combo subscription package for $17.99 per month.
How to use the YouTube background playback feature:
- Open the YouTube application.
- Play any video you want to try this feature on.
- Now you can either switch to another app or just lock your iPhone’s screen.
- Use your phone’s control center to play and pause the audio.
You can customize the feature through YouTube settings. Tapping on background playback will give you options to enable any of these options: Off, Always on, Connected to external speakers or headphones.
Aside from playing in the background, a premium YouTube account gives you the following additional benefits:
- Build an offline watch list by downloading unlimited videos.
- Get access to YouTube Music and YouTube Originals in a single app.
- You don’t have to wait for the skip ad button anymore because the premium account removes all ads.
Method 2: Use Apple’s Safari app
Opening YouTube videos in Safari app instead of the original app is another way to enable background playback feature on iPhone. Here’s what you need to do:
- Visit YouTube’s official website on Safari.
- Play any video from the list.
- Click the aA icon in the lower left corner.
- Select Request the desktop website.
- Go to your phone’s control center.
- Check the box that shows what music is currently playing.
- Tap the play button.
- The YouTube video is playing in the background.
Things to consider while performing the above steps:
- You need to uninstall your YouTube app in case Safari redirects you to your iPhone’s YouTube application when you try to open it from the website.
- You may be redirected to the YouTube home page after tapping Request Desktop Website instead of staying on the page where the video is playing. In this scenario, click the back arrow option to return to the video.
- When you close the Safari app for the first time, the sound doesn’t play, which usually happens. Just follow the steps outlined above.
- If you’re streaming an entire YouTube playlist in the background, you’ll need to follow the steps given above for each video.
- On some iPhone models, users can access Control Center by swiping down from the top-right corner of the screen or swiping up from the bottom edge. This speeds up the whole process.
Method 3: Use the free Safari extension: PiPiFire
You can find the extension in the App Store; Once downloaded to the phone, follow the steps below to use it:
- Open iPhone settings and select Safari
- Find Extensions option.
- Enable PiPeFire from the list
- Select YouTube.com and tap Allow
- Open Safari and visit YouTube.com
- Play any video, then tap the video screen
- A picture-in-picture icon will appear in the upper left corner
- Tap the icon to minimize the playing video
- Swipe it to the edge of the screen and easily browse other apps or websites
Hope you find this post on How to play YouTube in the background on an iPhone useful. Currently, users can only enjoy built-in background playback features with YouTube Premium, which is a paid option. Other options are free to use but may feel complicated for some users. So make sure you choose according to your preference.